Tuesday, February 16, 2016

LA Trip III

There's quite a bit of public art, writ large, around LA, like this example. Generally speaking, I prefer the murals around LA to the ones in the Bay Area, which tend to have a kitschy "community art" feel to them. 


Here's something about Los Angeles I can highly recommend, especially on warm and hot days. 

Though right around this time, I was noticing something that kind of sucks: hard to find a public bathroom, which I think has to do with the prevalence of the homeless, which is pretty pronounced here.

Downtown's got a funny vibe. There's some old buildings from around a hundred years ago or slightly older, just like in SF, Portland and Seattle. But these are juxtaposed to much more modern examples. I can't argue with Robin's assertion that downtown LA is creepy. One might think the film noir undercurrent is from a time long past, but then she told me a story about an Asian woman whose body was found in a water tank, and video footage was found of her frantically pushing elevator buttons in some downtown LA building.

Now this, on the other hand, is a marvel. 

More downtown. I can totally see The Terminator or Robocop showing up any minute. 

¿Te gusta carne de armadillo?


These last two are the Gamble House, in the dark gloaming of the evening, in Pasadena.

1 comment: