Wednesday, February 10, 2016

CLOSED: Allspice Indian Restaurant in American Canyon

Sad to report: one of the best restaurants close to where I live has closed down. Allspice never really caught on, I don't remember seeing very many people in there eating, usually one other table, two at the most. Oftentimes we'd be the only people in there. Although I found their fare quite excellent, I later learned of even better Indian restaurants (Chettinad and other styles), mostly in the South Bay and East Bay. Those restaurants are often packed, and I found we had to arrive during the relatively dead times at 11am or between 3 & 5pm to get a table. This was never the case here, and I'd say most folks in the American Canyon, Vallejo & Napa area don't know what they missed.


Tandoori Chicken at Allspice. Arguably the best version I've ever had.


My favorite Indian restaurant anywhere. Thankfully, it's pretty close by in American Canyon. Hadn't been in there in a little while, so why not go today on my birthday? Clockwise from Top Left: Saag Paneer, Basmatic Rice, Lamb Korma, Fish Pakoora.

Fish Pakoora is deep fried fish, but the batter is full of spices. Fabulous.

The sauces from the squeeze bottles are clearly made fresh from scratch in house. Look at those chunks.

Love this dish. Succulent lamb, bright & fresh vegetables, coconut sauce where you can feel the texture of the coconut while eating it. Also, the spices are clearly freshly roasted & ground. Not enough restaurants do this.

But here's the real star: Saag Paneer the likes of which I've never had. Thick cow's milk cheese imported from India, spices and spinach so fresh there's give to the leaves as you eat it. Intense, green and thick.

How thick is it? I held this spoon upside down for ten seconds before this spoonful fell.


www.allspiceindianrestaurant.com

No comments:

Post a Comment