Sunday, May 8, 2016

Independent Grocery Series: Valley Ford Market

Here's the first installment of a new focus here at Cakes & Ale: Independent Groceries. There's quite a few of them, and not just in small towns. When I moved back here 3 years ago, I was astonished by the array of Independents, and as I keep coming across them, I thought it would be a good idea to talk about them.

I understand this one's been around, in one form or another, for at least half a century, likely longer. Located on Highway One just east of Bodega Bay, north of Tomales, and roughly ten miles west of Petaluma, Valley Ford is smack in the middle of some seriously rural agricultural action. There's a canal here that connects to Bodega Bay, some folks tell me that boats come here from Bodega Bay and points north, south and west.


This place has one of best meat counters in NW Marin County and SW Sonoma County.

Overall, it's your basic grocery store. Cheerios, Budweiser, stuff to make PB&J with, etc. Great folks running the store, always super friendly, even to us city slickers passing through.

Here's the #1 reason to come here: the best Smoked Salmon in the entire Bay Area. Hey, don't throw away that skin! I'll eat it!

1 comment: