Sunday, May 15, 2016

Blue Corn Migas

I was getting hungry anyway, and a friend online inspired me to make some Migas. More of a Migas Variant, really, since there's several non-traditional ingredients in here. However, the first step I learned years ago from co-workers originally from Mexico Cuidad y Guadalajara. This is the first step to making salsa, the way they made it. All that's missing are some ripe roma tomatoes, blistering in the dry hot pan, along with garlic (skins on) and whole dried red chilies. These are Vietnamese red chiles, not arbols. Just got these recently, and I wanted to see how they tasted. Quite good and quite hot. My face is red and covered with sweat.


Poblano pepper, eggs, shallots, sharp cheddar, and broccoli stems. The latter I've never had in Migas, but I don't care, that's what I want to eat. They'll get nutty during the saute. Too bad I don't have any nopales.


Couple of handfuls of these go in once the vegetables are softened to perfection. Migas is a good way to revive stale tostadas.

Saute happening. I've sliced some cheese and have coraled the spices. Black pepper, cumin, coriander, oregano, and smoked paprika. Throw those in towards the end. Fresh roast and fresh grind them for optimum flavor/aroma. Any ground spices you have more than 6 months old should be trashed.

Another odd ingredient: salt-cured anchovy, which provides the Salt component and more Umami. Finely chop it, the garlic and the chilies, add just before the spices, i.e. once vegetables are sauteed.

Everything's in there now. Eggs I just mixed in using the spatula. Covered with that bit of cheese just before turning heat down and covering the pan.

OK, not your usual Migas, but I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment