Sunday, May 8, 2016

Independent Grocery Series: Petaluma Market

I first happened upon Petaluma Market a long, long time ago. H. Ross Perot, Bill Clinton, and Lenora Fulani were running for President to oust George H. W. Bush, who once upon a time said "read my lips." Back then it was smaller and funkier. My main memory was their mind-blowing selection of breads: sourdough baguettes, whole sprouted wheat, levains, ciabattas, and so on. Next time I was there, eight years later, it was gone, replaced by an auto-parts store. I couldn't believe Petaluma didn't have a grocery store worth a crap. When I lived in Western Sonoma County in 2005-2006, I only came to Petaluma once or twice, and same deal--where were all the good local grocery stores?

Fast forward to 2015, when Robin & I were errands in Petaluma, and we took a random turn, and voila! It was still here! But in a much larger format, and not on the street I thought it was on. 

Now Petaluma Market is much bigger and better than before. Petaluma also has a WFM and a TJs, but who cares about going to a clone Big Box Grocery?

A world-class selection of local cheeses that might make you think you're in France. (Too bad Americans aren't into pate and other forcemeats as much!)

Pretty decent store all around--the produce section is great, the bread selection stellar, great beer and wine selection, but the meat counter? What a spread! Much of this locally sourced. 

Here's what we love. Super high quality takeout sushi. Sorry, Nijiya. The freshness and quality of the seafood here is superior. And so is Petaluma's sushi rice.


1 comment: