Thursday, May 12, 2016

China Cafe in Vallejo

I've been to China Cafe, around the corner from my office in Vallejo, I think one time, several years ago. Pretty much like all the other American-style Chinese restaurants here, specializing in lots of fried food with either indifferent brown sauce, or day-glo pink sweet and sour sauce delivered by eighteen wheeler. However, Robin & I have heard they've updated the menu a little bit, with some Szechuan dishes. 

Most of those are on the "Chef's Special" list, but first we tried Sauteed Spinach with Garlic. China Cafe's version is absolutely perfect, could not possibly get any better. 


Honey Walnut Prawns, a Hong Kong dish. Also right on point, almost as good as the best version I've ever had--in fact, such a razor-thin margin. Perhaps a touch too sweet? Still: quite outstanding.


Robin thought we got served the wrong dish here, after all. we were considering getting the Szechuan Fish. I know I definitely ordered the Fish Fillet in Hot Spicy Oil. This is not what I expected it to look like, expecting something similarly served at places like Chili House on Clement in SF, China Village in Albany & several others. This one's not very spicy, and we didn't expect it to have tomato. I didn't find the sauce very engaging, and we've gotta talk about the spongy texture of the fish. I'm guessing that's probably from being previously frozen. I should have asked what the fish was, it seemed similar to cod, but lacking in flavor and, again, that odd texture. The other accompanying vegetables gave me pause as well, especially the cooked bean sprouts? Not sure those or the bell peppers added to the dish or helped. Seemed kind of confused, or maybe I am?

But probably what's happening is most of the clientele want American style Chinese food, and it's got to be hard to sell the real deal. I see that happening in other restaurants too, and the fact of the matter is it's hard to make money in Vallejo, because there's not enough people with money to spend. Naturally, I didn't see any Duck Gizzards, Eel, or Thinly-sliced Pork Ear on the menu. That said, just judging the game they've got with the Spinach and the Honey Walnut Prawns, China Cafe is already close to being one the best restaurants in Vallejo, and I could see them possibly bringing it to the next level, and becoming one of the few "destination" restaurants here.

1 comment: