Friday, December 25, 2015

Khan Toke Thai House

Robin pointed out this place on Geary to me a year or so ago, and we finally made it. She said it's one of the oldest thai restaurants in the Bay Area and had been there a number of times.

All this shiny wood panelling makes me feel like I'm on a ship. Take off your shoes before you are seated at sunken tables.


Duck Larb. Tangy & redolent of spices and fish sauce. Exquisite!

If this place has fallen off in quality compared to the old days, it must have been truly amazing. I've never had a Larb like this before, probably because I've also never seen Duck as a Larb option.


Basil Rice Noodle with Squid.

Absolutely amazing--not just flavor-wise, but texture-wise. Perfect squid. The combo with the rice noodles, also cooked perfectly, just other-worldly. Tons of garlic. Nice balance of spices. 

Both of these dishes (which we shared, natch) had a One Chile rating on the menu. The old menus used to have items with up to Three Chiles. Maybe that's what people are complaining about? My experience with SE Asian and other traditionally spicy hot cuisines is folks in the Bay Area want food that's much blander than what I like. My guess is they were forced to tone it down because of this. But if anyone wants it spicier, why not make a point of asking for that when you order?

For my culinary needs, these dishes were just spicy enough, in fact, so outstandingly executed that you wouldn't want to be distracted by the skillful interplay of aroma, visual stimulation, flavors and texture.



http://khantokethai.com/


1 comment: