Sunday, November 15, 2015

North Bay Nature Shots (with new camera!)

I've been wanting to replace the camera that crapped out since mid-summer, but besides being broke (not poor), I've just been so busy. Since Robin and I got back from Seattle last month, I've been doing some research, which I just resumed the other day. Many of my hardcore photography buddies were suggesting I just get an upgraded version of a Canon Digital PowerShot, and that's exactly what I got today, from a guy running a craigslist ad who lives in Novato. Shortly after paying him $25, I was trying to figure out how it works.

So Robin had the idea to go to this place nearby, where we could all three of us get a nice walk. Apparently this hill NE of the strip mall in Novato bordering 101 was a real island at some point in the past. 



The smell was amazing. We had some rain in the wee hours of the night, and here on the north side of the hill/island, you could see the mud, and the air was redolent of the scent of Bay trees.

A moist microclimate during the drought.

Note the fallen trees in the background to the right.

One of my two close-up shots. I think they both turned out pretty good. Some sort of mushroom.

First of three shots from the same spot. Looking back down the path, towards the NW. No Nazgul tracking us, at least as far as I could tell.

Looking up the hill directly at the sun, SW.

Forward on the path, where you can spot Robin & Frances, more or less SE. Gotta account for curvatures. Of the hill and the planet.

Oh yeah. Across that water in the distance is Highway 37. One thing that was so pleasant about driving in the North Bay today was the utter lack of traffic. As opposed to Friday.

OK, here ya go. Look carefully. This is a stream bed. The tiny bit of rain we've gotten recently has barely dented the 4 year drought. But did I mention the beautiful smell of the forest?

Click on this & in the center background you can see horizontal lines on the far hill, where livestock (cattle) have created paths. Though it does look like terraced farming.

What is that white and red fungus in the center of the frame? I have no idea.


Trees in Sonoma.

Clouds above the setting sun from Oxbow District in Napa.


1 comment: