Thursday, April 16, 2015

Bay Thai Cuisine & L&G Vietnamese Sandwich

Robin's been raving about Bay Thai in San Rafael for a while. Yesterday she was running work-related errands all day, and after she picked me up, we eventually made our way to downtown San Rafael where she had to pick up dye supplies at Dharma, which seems like one of those places that's been around since the 1970s. In fact, they were playing Fleetwood Mac's Rumors when we were there. But then after that errand, we were gettin' hungry, so we finally checked out the best Thai food I've had yet in the Bay Area.

Calamari salad (YUM PLA MUK). Mostly finely shredded lettuce topped with perfectly cooked calamari, and a fish sauce based dressing. A fine beginning to an exquisite meal.

Pad Thai. Best version of the Bangkok style Pad Thai (there's a regional version served at Sap's in Austin, TX that I've had which is very different, but equally as excellent) I've ever had. Huge shrimp. Marinated tofu.

Seafood Red Curry. Scallops, shrimp, calamari. I didn't find it that spicy in terms of heat (not something folks in the North Bay generally like), but very spicy in terms of the flavors one expects in a thai red curry. Complex and balanced. I augmented my portion with the chili flakes sitting on the table which, upon tasting them, made my eyeballs roll into the back of my head with pleasure and ecstasy.

Bay Thai Cuisine
809 4th Street, San Rafael
415-458-8845



Little Saigon is near where I work, and I sometimes forget that I can score a cheap Banh Mi down there. The other day I was getting hungry, and found this new place, L&G. Pretty awesome.

This is their porky "Special Combination". For $3.50, it's a bargain, and much better than a slice of pizza. Delicious!

Here's their simple menu. Might not be the best Banh Mi in San Francisco, but way better than most!

L & G Vietnamese Sandwich
602 Eddy, SF
415-345-1878

1 comment: