Monday, May 7, 2018

Swan Oyster Depot in San Francisco

I returned to Swan's the other day (8/21/18) with friends visiting from Texas. Here's a few items we enjoyed. Above, the Mixed Oyster Dozen, 6 varieties, two of each.

Medium Sashimi plate, 4 pieces of each. From left: Scallop, Salmon, Ahi Tuna, Halibut.

Smoked Trout, and Shrimp Salad.


Six different varieties (2 each) of raw oysters at Swan Oyster Depot.

2:35pm. Here I am, having just arrived at the back of the line waiting to get into Swan Oyster Depot for the first time. 

It only took about 30 minutes to get close to the front, but that's because it's at 3 on a Monday.

I already knew this was going to be really good, but sensory confirmation is another sort of knowledge.


The two in the middle are from Ireland, two at the top are from British Columbia, clockwise two pairs from the Bay Area (including Tomales Bay), and the others from around Seattle including Miyagi, if memory serves. So great.


That's my Combination Seafood Cocktail right before I knocked it over like a dunce, because I was already intoxicated from eating super fresh seafood. They cleared it away and made me a new one.


I thought this was gonna be just kinda good, but no. This was knock you out incredible. Crab, shrimp, clams.

The only sashimi I've ever had this good was at Uchi in Austin, which flies their sashimi in from Tokyo. Each layer, starting in the front: Scallop, Tuna, Salmon, Halibut and Hamachi (or Yellow Tail). That is, by quite some distance, the best Hamachi I've ever had. 


1 comment: