Saturday, July 15, 2017

Book Club of California


Yesterday I cataloged something published by the Book Club of California, and while searching the internet to ascertain valuation, I came across references to their library, at 312 Sutter, being open to the general public. My old buddy Nicholas Yeager suggested I check it out sometime when I moved back out here four years ago, and ain't it funny how time slips away?



On display now through the end of this month is The Working Library: Clifford Burke and Fine Printing, an exhibition I can't recommend high enough for anyone interested in the Book Arts or Bay Area fine printing. I was already familiar with Burke and I've cataloged some items he's published and printed via his Cranium Press. In fact, the exhibit (and other things I saw at the BCC) is practically a tour of my own personal history with the Book Arts. Above left, for example, Dard Hunter's essential tome, Papermaking, was one of the first books I investigated when my interest in the world of fine printing and paper was first piqued many years ago at the Harry Ransom Center in Austin, Texas.


Printing as a Performing Art, Ruth Teiser, with a quote about ink on the exhibit label.


Absolutely beautiful stuff--the exhibit unfolds Burke's development as a printer and publisher, especially for poetry, using traditional aesthetics, rather than what had been more common in the Bay Area following the Beats.



I saw several examples of works I've cataloged, as well as works former co-workers cataloged. Pretty sure my friend Jeff Jackson cataloged that one.


Such a small world. References to Peter Howard & Serendipity Books throughout, and here's someone who's work I've definitely cataloged (Lew Welch), from material we got from Serendipity.



Roxburghe Club of San Francisco. I've cataloged plenty of stuff from them.


Oyez Press--Robert Hawley's imprint, I definitely have worked with & cataloged some Charles Olson material.

The legendary & awe-inspiring Grabhorn Press, of course. I've cataloged some books and ephemera from them.


And finally, some Fine Binding. Next time I'm there, I'm going to have to look at that Raoul Dufy.


1 comment: