Sunday, March 8, 2015

La Chona in San Pablo

Robin found a reference online to this place having the best Birria de Chivo in the Bay Area. We went there Thursday, waiting for rush hour traffic to die down, but they only do Birria & Menudo on weekends. Instead Robin had a Chile Relleno ($5.50) that was enormous and delicious, while I had an exceptionally great Pollo Con Mole ($6.50), a Mole that tasted like it was made from scratch, a variety that I've never had before. Unlike one of the negative Yelp reviews I saw, the service was good. The only criticism I can think of is the parking in back is kind of cramped, but there's plenty of free parking nearby.

Best Birria de Chivo ($8.50) I've ever had. The lemon, onion and cilantro make for ideal garnishes. It occurs to me that goat is one of those meats eaten in most parts of the world.

I got the Grande Birria de Chivo ($9.50) which I couldn't finish. Sweet & soulful.

Oh yeah, did I mention the fresh made corn tortillas? You won't find that at Torchy's.

Beyond the blurry foreground of the next bite, you can see, background center, the jar of the incendiary salsa. These folks aren't fooling around--tastes like habaneros are part of their mix, so stay away from their salsa if you can't take the heat.

La Chona Restaurant

(510) 233-4655

1 comment: