Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Perdition Smokehouse in Berkeley

Located just west of Shattuck on University, this place is as close to Texas BBQ as I've found outside the state. They need a little bit more of the red ring, which shows faintly on this photo of my fatty brisket. Which was delicious.


Robin's one meat plate. Dry rub pork ribs, in other words Texas style, not lovingly slathered in BBQ sauce like the usual St. Louis/Memphis/KC/Chicago style. Both styles are awesome, but you rarely see this style of pork ribs around here. BTW, notice that Robin got sides and I didn't. Not something I liked to do in Texas, unless I happened to be eating at Ruby's BBQ, located (last time I checked) near 29th and Guadalupe in Austin. Robin was stuffed and couldn't finish most of her sides--check them out! Gingantic portions. I was really glad I only previously indulged in the pleasures of the flesh.


A better shot of my half pound (well, 1/4 lb. at this point) of brisket. Notice the nice dry rub crust. The meat is delicious, but doesn't taste like Texas beef. The guy I talked to thinks it comes from Idaho, says California beef is too expensive. I told him I noticed the brisket here has a slightly sweet flavor like mead or apple cider. He told me that's probably because they brush it with a little apple cider vinegar. 


Super tender pork ribs. 

Here's one reason the BBQ at Perdition doesn't taste like the BBQ in Texas (especially the highest caliber spots). The set up is different, because of regulations in the People's Republic of Berkeley. With the amazing amount of ventilation they had in there, they might as well let people smoke tobacco.

OK, so here's the deal. The brisket doesn't quite have that perfect red ring, but close to it. They can't put a firepit on the floor like they do at Kreuz's and Smitty's in Lockhart, so they're doing the best they can. Not sure if these guys have apprenticed with pitmasters from Taylor, Luling or Lockhart, but they've damn well done their research. I haven't even mentioned they have around 40 Microbrews on tap (mostly local, West Coast, & Belgian; the fact they have Black Currant Cider on tap amazes us). Perdition would fit right into the scene in Austin, but wouldn't be as highly regarded as Franklin's, Micklethewait, or Mueller's. Not by a long shot. But this place would garner some respect. And as far as the scene here in the Bay Area, Perdition Smokehouse is the best I've found yet.

1 comment: