Friday, October 2, 2015

Large Scallops Sauteed In A Saffron, Cognac & Butter Sauce

Large Scallops Sauteed In A Saffron, Cognac & Butter Sauce 

Just made and ate this. Robin MacLean​ says it's the best thing I've made that she's eaten. Pretty simple in my view: don't overcook the scallops, and get good ones. Those small Bay Scallops don't have much flavor.

Soak saffron in a cup of water.
Saute over low medium a diced yellow onion in butter to translucency with a bit of brown on it. The scallops we used are an amazing deal for the Broke Not Poor set: broken large ones from the frozen section of an Asian market in SF, $8.99/lb. which is at least half-price. I soaked them in plain tap water while starting up a pot of plain white rice (I did throw in a spoon or two of the saffron water), and steamed broccoli.

Once rice was done, and Robin was finished with dyeing fabric, I added some more butter to the onions, and turned up the temp from low to medium high (I turned them off once they were done enough, truth be told), adding the saffron water, then letting that simmer. I drained the scallops, minced some garlic and fresh chives. After the drained scallops sat for a couple of minute in the soaking bowl, some more water came out of the flesh--only a tablespoon or two--this I added to the simmering sauce.

Once the saffron/butter sauce was reduced, I added some nice Cognac, and let that reduce a bit, then put the scallops in. A minute later, threw in the garlic and chives and a pinch of salt, and was ready to flip the scallops: even these large broken ones don't need much time. When instinct told me they were close to perfect, I turned off the pan, scooped some plain white rice on each plate, then spatula-transferred them over the rice. Then, with the shellfish out of the pan, I turned the sauce on to the highest setting so it would reduce and concentrate--don't let it burn, but it will brown nicely. The last bits will be like caramel, so use a knife to scrape it off the spatula.

Next time I make this, there will be pictures. We're thinking clams and even large prawns would be good.

1 comment: