Thursday, August 13, 2015

Louisiana Fish & Chips

This is one of those hybrid places in Robin's neighborhood that I've been meaning to check since I moved to Vallejo nearly two years ago. Jeff and I used to do our laundry at the laundromat nearby. I used to sometimes get Sherman MCDs at the discount tobacco place next door. Robin's old housemate used to get food from this place.

I'm not sure how many changes of ownership this place has had, but it's definitely owned and operated by a Korean couple now, and has retained some of the Louisiana cuisine from the previous place (note they have stuff like gumbo here), and possibly it was a burrito place even before that. I'd never eaten there until about an hour ago, but I had looked in, and had some sense of their menu...

And here's the new element. Lots of Fries dishes.

They might as well do Poutine.

I'm sure they're Superbad. This should have been a warning to me because...

It seems that every dish comes with Fries. Glad it didn't come with the delicious KimChi.

OK, so I got an Oyster basket, a Chicken Wing basket and a side of KimChi. Didn't expect all those superfluous fries. Which explains all the ketchup packets I was wondering about when I first opened this up.

OK, well, the Chicken Wings and Fried Oysters though were great. Very light batter on the Chicken Wings--perfect. The only possible improvement on that dish is to do what San Tung does with (i.e. tosses with their sauce and chiles). And absolutely spot on fried oysters, using a corn meal batter. Fantastic.

The KimChi was great too. Only ate about a dozen fries, then put them back in the bag & into the trash can out front. They might still be warm.

1 comment: